Lost city of Vogelsang – Germany
In 1951 Began construction of the sit and the garrison became home to around 15,000 soldiers and civilians, some 550 buildings.
Four mobile launching units and 12 missiles were ready for deployment between the two bases, capable of striking targets up to 1,200 kilometers away.The East Germans were not informed, and the missiles were delivered under cover of darkness using back roads so they wouldn’t find out.The Soviet Army leadership did not give the GDR military leadership any information about the stationing of missiles in Vogelsang and Fürstenberg.
In the end, the Soviet Union’s production of the R-14 Chusovaya missile SS-5 Skean, with its much greater range, eliminated the need for armed nuclear missiles in Germany, and Col. Aleksandrov was given the order to disband on July 12th, 1962.
Meanwhile, there was enough going on through the Cold War and beyond to keep Vogelsang busy. The Red Army’s 25th Tank Division was based here and there were apparently further nuclear dalliances with the storage of TR-1 (SS-12 Scaleboard) missiles between 1983 and 1988. The Russians didn’t leave until 1994.
more info at abandonedberlin.com
Click on photo to enlarge