Tag Archives: #urbanphotography

Camp de la Transportation – Frans-Guyana

Camp de la Transportation – Frans-Guyana

Camp de la Transportation-1

This eerie place / prison of Saint-Laurent-du-Maroni or camp of the Transportation

 was a penitentiary establishment in French Guiana where prisinors arrived for  processing. This prison was the central prison of French Guiana . Part of the site is now restored.
  • The prison is created by the law of August 26, 1792 which provides for the political deportation in Guyana of “non-oathed ecclesiastics” 1 and ecclesiastics denounced for incivism (law of April 23, 1793) and in 1795 for the enemies of the revolution French , but the maritime blockade imposed by England as well as the numerous epidemics which develop there, lead to the cessation of the application of these measures .
  • On November 22,  1850 , Louis Napoleon proclaimed: ”  6,000 convicts in our convalescences are imposing enormous burdens on their budgets, increasingly depraving themselves, and constantly threatening society. It seems to me possible to make the pain of forced labor more effective, more moralizing, less expensive, and more humane by using it in the progress of French colonization  . “
  • March 31,  1852 , the first convoy sentenced from Brest to the islands of Salvation .
  • On February 21,  1858 , the prison of Saint-Laurent-du-Maroni was inaugurated on the Maroni river . It consisted of more than 12 buildings (rows of “boxes” containing the cells on either side of the inner courtyard, a hospital, kitchens, staff buildings, laundry and library).
    All the convicts coming from metropolitan France first landed at Saint-Laurent and were then divided between the different camps and penitentiaries of Guyana.
  • On March 16,  1880 , the city of Saint-Laurent-du-Maroni, which was a penitentiary commune, was created, the inhabitants of which were almost all released guards or convicts.
  • In 1912 , the Saint-Laurent Hospital was built.
  • The prison of Saint-Laurent-sur-Maroni did not close until 1946 , when the whole galleys finally ceased to exist. Its closure was decided by Daladier’s decree-law in 1938.
The site is classified as a historic monument by order of 14 February 1995 .

A famous film about a person who is fallacious sented with a life sentence to the prison of Saint-Laurent-du-Maroni  >>> Papillon is a 1973 historical period drama prison film directed by Franklin J. Schaffner. The screenplay by Dalton Trumbo and Lorenzo Semple Jr. was based on the 1969 autobiography by the French convict Henri Charrière. The film stars Steve McQueen as Henri Charrière (“Papillon”) and Dustin Hoffman as Louis Dega. Because it was filmed at remote locations, the film was quite expensive for the time ($12 million), but it earned more than twice that in its first year of release. The film’s title is French for “Butterfly,” referring to Charrière’s tattoo and nickname.

 Info from : www.wikipedia.com
Camp de la Transportation-2
dubbelclick on the photo to enlarge it

Camp de la Transportation-4  Camp de la Transportation-7
Camp de la Transportation-29  Camp de la Transportation-10
Camp de la Transportation-6
Camp de la Transportation-37  Camp de la Transportation-21
Camp de la Transportation-34  Camp de la Transportation-33
Camp de la Transportation-30
Camp de la Transportation-13  Camp de la Transportation-14
Camp de la Transportation-25  Camp de la Transportation-18
Camp de la Transportation-52
Camp de la Transportation-51  Camp de la Transportation-49
Camp de la Transportation-16  Camp de la Transportation-11
Camp de la Transportation-43
Camp de la Transportation-68  Camp de la Transportation-69
Camp de la Transportation-44  Camp de la Transportation-46
Camp de la Transportation-50  Camp de la Transportation-54
Camp de la Transportation-41

Ons Nestje – Belgium

Ons Nestje – Belgium

dubbelclick on photo to enlarge it
Ons Nestje-19
Ons Nestje-13 Ons Nestje-8
Ons Nestje-11 Ons Nestje-18
Ons Nestje-26
Ons Nestje-6 Ons Nestje-9
Ons Nestje-4 Ons Nestje-2
Ons Nestje-20
Ons Nestje-39 Ons Nestje-40
Ons Nestje-16
Ons Nestje-30 Ons Nestje-43
Ons Nestje-42
Ons Nestje-25

Żarska Wieś Ruiny Pałacu – Poland

Żarska Wieś Ruiny Pałacu – Poland

dubbelclick on photo to enlarge
Żarska Wieś Ruiny Pałacu - Poland-6  Żarska Wieś Ruiny Pałacu - Poland-9
Żarska Wieś Ruiny Pałacu - Poland-3
Żarska Wieś Ruiny Pałacu - Poland-11  Żarska Wieś Ruiny Pałacu - Poland-15
Żarska Wieś Ruiny Pałacu - Poland-13  Żarska Wieś Ruiny Pałacu - Poland-3
Żarska Wieś Ruiny Pałacu - Poland-21
Żarska Wieś Ruiny Pałacu - Poland-26  Żarska Wieś Ruiny Pałacu - Poland-25
Żarska Wieś Ruiny Pałacu - Poland-24


Pannrummet – Sweden

Pannrummet – Sweden

Dubbelclick on the photo to enlarge it


Pannrummet - Sweden-6 Pannrummet - Sweden-4
Pannrummet - Sweden-5 Pannrummet - Sweden-11
Pannrummet - Sweden-1 Pannrummet - Sweden-10
Pannrummet - Sweden-9 Pannrummet - Sweden-8
Pannrummet - Sweden-7
Pannrummet - Sweden-12 Pannrummet - Sweden-3
Pannrummet - Sweden-2

Gemaal de Vereeniging (vertical)- the Netherlands

Gemaal de Vereeniging – the Netherlands

Dubbelclick op de foto om deze te vergroten

Het gemaal De Vereeniging is in 1877 gesticht voor de bemaling van het circa 875 hectare grote gebied van de polders Duivenvoorde, De Fluit, Raaphorst en de Veenzijder Polder (later samengegaan als de Duivenvoordse-Veenzijde polder). Van oorsprong was het een door stoom aangedreven schepradgemaal.
Gemaal de Vereeniging - Nederland-1
Gemaal de Vereeniging - Nederland-22 Gemaal de Vereeniging - Nederland-29
Gemaal de Vereeniging - Nederland-23 Gemaal de Vereeniging - Nederland-33
Gemaal de Vereeniging - Nederland-25 Gemaal de Vereeniging - Nederland-31
In 1922 werd de stoomaandrijving vervangen door aandrijving met een 2-cilinder Brons dieselmotor. Deze motor bleek echter onvoldoende vermogen te leveren en werd daarom in 1926 vervangen door een staande 1-cilinder Werkspoor dieselmotor (een zogenoemde A-frame motor) met een vermogen van circa 80 pk. De aandrijving vond plaats, via een platte drijfriem, met een complex stelsel van tandwielen en een houten kamrad. De Brons dieselmotor bleef op zijn oorspronkelijke plaats in het gemaal staan.
Gemaal de Vereeniging - Nederland-38
Gemaal de Vereeniging - Nederland-27 Gemaal de Vereeniging - Nederland-16
In deze vorm heeft het gemaal tot 1978 gewerkt, daarna werd overgegaan op elektrische aandrijving en werd het scheprad vervangen door een in de schepradgoot geplaatste open schroefpomp. In 1993 werd de bemaling overgenomen door een direct ernaast gebouwd elektrisch aangedreven geheel automatisch werkend schroefpompgemaal en werd het oude gemaal buiten gebruik gesteld en de pomp verwijderd.
Gemaal de Vereeniging - Nederland-4 Gemaal de Vereeniging - Nederland-21Gemaal de Vereeniging - Nederland-37

In 2012 vond de overdracht van het gemaal door het Hoogheemraadschap van Rijnland aan STIBOM plaats. STIBOM heeft gemaal gerestaureerd.



dubbelclick on the photo to enlarge
Carsberg-beerfactory - Denmark-15Carsberg-beerfactory - Denmark-13 Carsberg-beerfactory - Denmark-5
Carsberg-beerfactory - Denmark-6 Carsberg-beerfactory - Denmark-4
Carsberg-beerfactory - Denmark-3 Carsberg-beerfactory - Denmark-7
Carsberg-beerfactory - Denmark-19 Carsberg-beerfactory - Denmark-9
Carsberg-beerfactory - Denmark-17
Carsberg-beerfactory - Denmark-18